Monday, August 1, 2022

'Copenhagen Rules' hnefatafl

The details of the rules used for playing hnefatafl in Viking and Celtic times are mostly unknown, and have been reconstructed from what little evidence has come to us from those times. To avoid confusion and debate, modern hnefatafl tournaments are often played to a specific set of codified rules: the Copenhagen Rules

I wanted to add a hnefatafl set to the collection which looked modern while at the same time capturing its Viking heritage. Searching the interwebs made me stumble across this 'Viking Chess' set. 


Of course, hnefatafl has nothing to do with chess, but the design of the board and pieces really appealed to me.



Both board and pieces are good quality wood, and their design really comes across to me as both 'modern' and 'traditional' at the same time.




Clearly, using this set you can play hnefatafl with any set of rules, but I like to see it as my 'Copenhagen Rules' set.


No comments:

Post a Comment